Minor project | Progress, Reflection & Submission

Week 1 / Week 15
Mohamed Hammam Chebel (0342483) BDE's. Creative Media (Hons). 
Packaging and Merchandising Design
Minor project

 Instructions


The project 

In the first week of the semester, I was a little bit confused about what Minor project is, but after checking out the project brief and the project slides I chose to be in the Healthify fitness app project, We had to work in groups of 5 with different areas of specialization, I was the only one from graphic design, I wondered how can I be useful for my group since we were designing an app, but later on I helped with most o the graphic design work.

My work

Fig 1.0
Healthify Logo design



Fig1.1
Healthify/HealthCamp Social media posts 

Fig1.2
Healthify/HealthCamp Social media posts 




Fig 1.3
Healthify UX and Branding presentation 
PS: the app name was changed to HealthCamp



Fig 1.4
Final presentation to the client (EAP, Computing and Design team)



Reflection 

Weekly reflection 

W1
We had to split into groups, each group has different specializations, I am from graphic design specialization, after setting up the group we created a WhatsApp group for communication, then we met with the other groups from other schools involved in this project and set a group chat also to stay on the same page with them.

W2
 this week, we haven’t done much, because we did not actually start working on the project, we were supposed to work with EAP and computing schools, but we were confused if computing is involved or not since they had some issues. We had to wait for a response from their end.

W3
This week we started on doing research on our target audience and their preferences in terms of app features etc…
We came up with 3 personas and presented them to Mr. Mike for feedback, we wanted to be in the audience’s shoes so we can organize the app’s features to match the user’s preferences and needs.


W4

Making a user journey map can be challenging and time-consuming because we must think about how people react to our product in different stages, we must predict their reaction to provide them with the right thing at the right stage, we have to satisfy their needs and gain their trust before buying/registration stage. But in our group’s case, we had to make a customer journey map for three different personas for the same product. 

W5
 after meeting with the other two groups, we made sure that we are on track, the three groups must aim for the same thing, and must be on the same page. We were able to keep on track despite the hiccups.


 W6
  After meeting with Miss. Jessie had a much clearer vision on what the app’s feature must be. I started to work on the brand visual identity staying with the logo, Sin Hui did some logo sketches, I later used them as a reference when designing the logo, I chose the letter H as the logomark, The idea was to keep the Letter H obvious and simple with adding some minor element to reflect fitness, I made it look like a half dumbbell to represent the brand.


W7
After designing the logo, I started making social media posts and ads, my part was to make Instagram ones. They had the same art style and graphic elements as the whole social media posts. I made sure that I followed the user journey map we did, I used it as a guide when making the ads and posts.

W8
 I kept on making more social media posts for Instagram. I made an art direction board for my other group mates so they can work on more social media posts and ads and stay consistent with the same art style through all the visuals.


 W9
 this week I kept working and fixing the social media posts and making more of them, feedback was given every week pertaining to the social media so we kept working on them.

W10
This week I finalized my last social media posts, I made a total of 12 posts for Instagram, I was overwhelmed with submissions from other modules so i couldn’t do much other than make the final posts.


W11
 Yaman is weekly tightening up the prototype and sharing his progress with the group, for I did the same as last week. I started making new logos with new wordmarks because the name Healthify is already trademarked so we started doing research for a new name that starts with a letter H and is related to fitness and it must not be trademarked or registered.



 W12
 I continued making logos and showed them to Me. Mike suggested that we discuss the name with the other groups, as the computing group will continue with the same brand and visual identity in the next semesters to make the actual app. We contacted the other group in the WhatsApp group and waited for their choice so we can finalize a name.


W13
 I kept on making wordmarks based on my team research, we kept updating the other groups and our lecturer with the new name hoping to finalize one.

W14
 we finally finalized the name, we went with HealthCamp, as it was not trademarked for a fitness app, I had to change the logo and some captions on all of the social media posts, my teammates also had to change on their sides, Other social media posts and collaterals.
I sent the Ai files for the logo and wordmark so they can edit it to their preference.

Experience 

It was the first time that I was involved in a real-life design project, we had to deal with a real client and try to satisfy his requirements and needs, at the same time it was so interesting because I found out that research is a big part of the design process, we did a lot of research in order to identify the target audience and their needs and preferences. it was fun working with my classmates who are taking different specializations, we worked as a group, we helped each other and split tasks according to our specializations. 
I learned that teamwork is important because we had to work with two other groups from two different schools, we learned how to be organized, I learned time management and the importance of good communication.

Observation 

I noticed that doing real-life projects can be a bit tough because it was my first time doing design according to other people's needs and preferences, I used to design things that I like in an open timeframe, this semester we had deadlines for each progress we make, we had to update our lecturer with whatever progress we did.
I also noticed that a designer should suggest what's best for his client, and not let the client be in control 100% of the time. design is a long time process that requires critical thinking and research.

Findings 

I found that Graphic design can be used in any domain, together we were able to make a fitness app User interface with a brand and social media campaign posts, etc...

I found that all group members have to share their ideas with the other members before executing them, also a graphic designer should be the art director for his colleagues to ensure consistency in the designed result, a very important thing is to keep a brand and all its components consistent. 




Important links 

Fitness app survey 

Low-fidelity prototype
High-fidelity prototype






Comments

Popular Posts